Monday, November 4, 2013

Beaver Creek and Montezuma Castle

Montezuma Castle
It had been a while since I visited Montezuma Castle outside Camp Verde in central Arizona. This iconic national monument features an ancient Sinagua dwelling built into the side of a splendid cliff face. The rock its self is very interesting with it's layers of striated rocks. I didn't spend much time in the monument itself... there are only so many possible shots and the loop trail is very short. Here's a link to more of the history of the monument.


Montezuma Castle and Fall Sycamore
So, I wandered back out and found a side dirt road that led down to Beaver Creek. There was a nice vista overlooking the distant monument I couldn't resist. The creek was between me and the monument. Sycamores and cottonwoods showing off their fall color were a perfect frame.


Beaver Creek Bend
This serpentine creek passes the monument and winds along the valley floor before joining up with the Verde River. I shot this big bend on the way back to the highway after spending some time exploring the creek. 


Beaver Creek Sycamore Sunstar
Exploring the creek was fun. I spent a couple hours around the creek finding some nice Fall color. See more of my work or buy a print of this image on Fine Art America


Reflections on Beaver Creek

In the Middle of Beaver Creek
The side road that paralleled the creek provided several opportunities for my kind of photography. This might be a nice place to camp as well. There were numerous spots with fire pits and clearings by the creek. I'd bring plenty of bug spray though. I didn't have any problems on this late October day, but in the Spring... bug heaven.


See my Fine Art America gallery for a variety of high-quality products from individual prints and canvas wraps to metal prints and frame and matted works of photographic art.

© 2013 G. Reid Helms / Arizona Panorama
All reproduction rights reserved



No comments: